I was just wondering what people think of this new bible that i just discovered. This is a question post which means that you are supposed to comment your thoughts as a discussion.
um i have a lot of comment on this. it seems to imply that the paper Bible is not cool enough and that the Holy Spirit needs help in making the living and active Word come alive or being of any interest to us. I think it would be fine to introduce an interactive study tool, but to say out with the old because the old Bible is no longer effective? it just feeds the monster of the "digital age" where we need images flashed in front of us and fed to us via computers if we are going to expect to "get it". we are watering things down for ourselves under the pretense of getting more intelligent. it would take real intelligence, not to mention an attention span longer than that of a gold fish, to actually sit down and read words on a real live piece of paper and process them, and heck, maybe even take notes with a real live pencil... and give ourselves time to sit and ponder them.. but maybe that would just not be cool enough. and if i recall, the Bible and the Believers have always been about being cool. they never want to be simple or considered uncool or thought less of. i could write more... sort of windy on this subject. (this whole making things palatable to the new adhd bipolar generation) but hey. what do i know. i still read off of paper sometimes.
I think it looks cool. The promo add was a little over the top, especially that assumption that the digital bible would magically make us "get it" - I'm with you on that. But other than the commercial-ness, I think it looked like a good tool although I'm not sure it's a whole lot better than any of the zillions of free online bible web sites. The bible didn't start out on paper so who says that's how it should stay. :)
yeah... sorry. maybe said to much. too strong. too first. i see value in this as a study tool, a resource. i know Gods word does not return void. I hope this is used for His glory well and not just to satisfy the ME generation's lust for "experiences" instead of knowing God for real. in and out of the mundane. -em k
Interesting thoughts everyone. My first reaction is that is just a strongly-marketed version of biblegateway or netbible. I like Katie's point that text (let alone the truth of it) didn't start out on paper. But I don't have an iphone to read it on during the Sunday sermon anyway, so what's the use? ;)
i would first like to make the clarification that there is a pretty big difference in the written bible (paper, papyrus, stone tablet, iphone or otherwise) and this revolutionary format..... just saying. i at least think there is a danger of being thinking that the glo bible is a bible rather than the fact that it contains a bible.
my second and main point is that it actually looks really nice. it reminds me of that photosynth program. it looks like a really great user interface and i actually really want to try it out. the design side of me is really excited about it. it is not often that the words "innovation" and "good design" are even in the same thesaurus as christ or faith. at first glance, it seems to be a farcry from "Sunday School Musical" or tshirts that say "spirit" instead of "sprite." However. i HAVE seen a user interface very much like this one and i pretty much would expect the worst if i was exploring such a program. never underestimate christians ability to almost have an original idea.
7 comments:
um i have a lot of comment on this. it seems to imply that the paper Bible is not cool enough and that the Holy Spirit needs help in making the living and active Word come alive or being of any interest to us. I think it would be fine to introduce an interactive study tool, but to say out with the old because the old Bible is no longer effective? it just feeds the monster of the "digital age" where we need images flashed in front of us and fed to us via computers if we are going to expect to "get it". we are watering things down for ourselves under the pretense of getting more intelligent. it would take real intelligence, not to mention an attention span longer than that of a gold fish, to actually sit down and read words on a real live piece of paper and process them, and heck, maybe even take notes with a real live pencil... and give ourselves time to sit and ponder them.. but maybe that would just not be cool enough. and if i recall, the Bible and the Believers have always been about being cool. they never want to be simple or considered uncool or thought less of.
i could write more... sort of windy on this subject. (this whole making things palatable to the new adhd bipolar generation)
but hey. what do i know. i still read off of paper sometimes.
I think it looks cool. The promo add was a little over the top, especially that assumption that the digital bible would magically make us "get it" - I'm with you on that. But other than the commercial-ness, I think it looked like a good tool although I'm not sure it's a whole lot better than any of the zillions of free online bible web sites. The bible didn't start out on paper so who says that's how it should stay. :)
P.S. Yes, I said I think it looks "cool" ;)
yeah... sorry. maybe said to much. too strong. too first. i see value in this as a study tool, a resource. i know Gods word does not return void. I hope this is used for His glory well and not just to satisfy the ME generation's lust for "experiences" instead of knowing God for real. in and out of the mundane.
-em k
Interesting thoughts everyone.
My first reaction is that is just a strongly-marketed version of biblegateway or netbible. I like Katie's point that text (let alone the truth of it) didn't start out on paper.
But I don't have an iphone to read it on during the Sunday sermon anyway, so what's the use? ;)
I just realized that I commented under Jason's name. That last comment was really from Heidi.
i would first like to make the clarification that there is a pretty big difference in the written bible (paper, papyrus, stone tablet, iphone or otherwise) and this revolutionary format..... just saying. i at least think there is a danger of being thinking that the glo bible is a bible rather than the fact that it contains a bible.
my second and main point is that it actually looks really nice. it reminds me of that photosynth program. it looks like a really great user interface and i actually really want to try it out. the design side of me is really excited about it. it is not often that the words "innovation" and "good design" are even in the same thesaurus as christ or faith. at first glance, it seems to be a farcry from "Sunday School Musical" or tshirts that say "spirit" instead of "sprite." However. i HAVE seen a user interface very much like this one and i pretty much would expect the worst if i was exploring such a program. never underestimate christians ability to almost have an original idea.
Post a Comment