Friday, July 30, 2010

What to do?

i just spent the last hour, trying to search for any kind of job or company involving design and furniture and basically came up dry. all day i have had this urge to go buy vintage tables and chairs, leather suitcases, really old wood, and turn them into really awesome pieces of furniture and luggage , and more furniture. every so often this instinct overtakes me and i have absolutely no outlet for it here. but i must do something with my hands. sometimes i go crazy in this place. all mellowdrama aside, does anyone have any ideas or leads as to how i could take this craving and turn it into a job or career? i have no idea.

4 comments:

katie said...

No, not possible. I've tried. :) Just kidding. I think you could open your own shop once you're back home... and everyone tells me you can sell stuff online but so far I haven't verified if that's actually true. Thomas has more luck at selling old electronics. You should find a junk yard there, maybe they don't have vintage furniture but they've got to have old car parts or something.

Ben said...

I remember hearing before coming over here that once a month or so you should really build something or do something with your hands--I haven't been able to do it that much, but when I have it has struck me as oddly satisfying.

I feel like the tough part would be finding a market/making a name for yourself--kind of a chicken and egg thing.

Anonymous said...

how about unique game sets made out of wood, my first thought was chess sets where the pieces are hand carved. I would think you might be limited for work space and tools. I always like the guitars that you hand painted. Surely some people still play games not on the computer. you could start designing funiture and build it when you return home. gramps had some ideas but I have forgotten what they were. I was looking in a magazine and they used reclyled things one thing I thought was neat was a fire pit using an old truck wheel. oh well

Judy Hester said...

Sorry, I'm late on contributing to this subject, but I agree you must use your creativity and desire to work with your hands. It is a gift and a passion that needs to be used. We've talked about a few things and I know God will open doors. We are keeping our eyes and ears open for possibilities.
I like the unique, awesome furniture idea. I think you'd be good at it.
The Idea that someone added to start designing (sketching) now, is a great one. You could have a whole book of sketches when you return, to show potential investors and clients. It would be cool to combine it with some sort of ministry. Just brainstorming, but in your showroom, you could host monthly "English Corners," U.S. style, with various emphas(es)? Ofcourse, it would need to be and international internet business as well.
I think you have what it takes to be this type of entrepreneur.