
*Excerpt from journal a few months ago*
In my resolve to drink nothing sweet for the month of April, I have been left with few choices and seemingly little variety i.e. water, coffee, tea, beer. Through my endeavor I have found a particular sweetness to water. This comes out especially in bottled water at work and hot tea. It is a coolness that refreshes just the tip of my tongue and the sides of my mouth. There is something uncomfortably pure about it. Then when i add the warm exotic flavor of mint green, Irish breakfast, jasmine rosemary, or above all rainforest matte i get an intense scent of a nature store mixed with grandmothers house during the holidays or the almost numbing flavor of mint or the feeling of a cool Irish dawn when all you can do is sit inside and look out of the window at the semi lit landscape and listen the the crackle of sausage on the griddle.
"do i want to go to the pub today with Father O'Malley and discuss deep things? or do i just want to sit and watch the snow falling on a well manicured Japanese garden? or maybe relax and watch the wave hit the beach while drinking Tea?"
Theres something immensely enjoyable about drinking tea. It is comforting, and humbling, and makes me feel better when I'm sick. It makes me wonder why I don't enjoy God in my life more. It lightens my heart and stirs my affections for Christ. (*Matt Chandler)
That transition of a pot of tea that at first is weak with the weird sweetness of hot water. Then gradually stronger until it's scent and flavor are almost overwhelming. As I sip that last cup ii see the dregs in the bottom and i feel every recess of my mouth fill with numbing favor, warm and exotic, the transition is complete. Some may detest the bitter end or overlook the diluted start but i relish every step of the process.
All of this makes me wonder why I don't feel this way about my spiritual life. Maybe I will.
No comments:
Post a Comment